The Mainstage plays are usually by established playwrights. However, any playwright is welcome to submit his/her script to our programming chair at any time for consideration. The mainstage season programming process occurs between June and October each year, with a season usually announced in November or December. To submit a script, contact our Programming Chair at email@example.com.
Call for Submissions - FireWorks Festival 2018
FireWorks Festival 2018 - November 7 – 25
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: March 15, 2018 at 10 pm
Have you a full-length play ready for production at FireWorks 2018, Alumnae’s ground-breaking 3-week Festival of new plays? Send your play by March 15, 2018 to FireWorksATC@gmail.com. The program will be announced April 2, 2018.
Here are the rules:
1. Only finished full-length plays may be submitted.
2. The play must have had a full reading at NEW IDEAS FESTIVAL or BIG IDEAS or a staged production of a scene or scenes from a full-length play at NIF.
3. The playwright must be prepared to work with a dramaturge assigned by the FireWorks committee throughout the process leading to performance.
4. If the play has had a full production elsewhere the script must have undergone a substantial rewrite.
5. The playwright may not direct the play, but will participate in choosing the Director.
New Play Development Group
All Active, Lifetime and Senior Supporting Members of the Alumnae Theatre are invited to join the New Play Development (NPD) group. We’re a group of women playwrights and dramaturges, at all levels of experience, who meet once a month from September through June to read and share our work, give feedback to each other, and discuss playwriting issues. At times we also meet in smaller, weekly groups.
Partnering with directors, dramaturges, and actors, NPD organizes three annual showcases of new Canadian works:
- Write Now! — A weekend-long playwriting challenge held in October that culminates a week later in a presentation of rehearsed readingsof all the entries;
- Big Ideas — A festival of longer works held each May that includes directed staged readings with actors, as well as table reads.
- Next Stage Reading Series — A series of "semi-cold" lobby readings open to the public that runs throughout the year and aids in the development of works-in-rogress
Many NPD members also submit plays to New Ideas Festival, Alumnae Theatre’s juried three-week festival of new plays held each March. Plays developed through NPD are also eligible for full production in November as part of Alumnae’s FireWorks, which features two to three new works and a series of panel discussions on topics related to the plays.
NPD always welcomes new members. For more information on how to join the NPD and the meeting dates/times, visit our members-only site to contact the NPD coordinator. To join NPD, you must be a member of Alumnae Theatre. If you are not yet a member, please join us and indicate on your registration that you would like to be included in the NPD.